Coping With Damage From Water
Water damage is a problem that many homeowners in Asheville, NC will encounter at some point, whether it is the result of a small leak or a major deluge requiring the service of professionals. Immediate action will help to contain the damage and speed the restoration.
Protect yourself and others from injury by removing electric shock hazards and making efforts to avoid slipping and falling once the influx of water has abated. Remember that saturated materials will be heavier to move than when they were dry.
Utilizing a checklist will help organize your approach to water cleanup. Staying calm and working methodically are two important strategies to keep in mind.
• Pick up and remove any loose items that can be moved elsewhere.
• Remove electronics to a safe location for later inspection from water damage.
• Remove what upholstered furniture you can to a safe, dry place.
• If the room is carpeted, place foil under the legs of furniture that must stay in place.
• Remove throw rugs layered on carpets.
• Remove tabletop items such as lamps and ornaments.
• Wipe dry the surfaces and legs of wood furniture.
• Use your HVAC system, including air conditioning, to dry the room.
Drying out a flooded room will take time, and attempting to hurry it along will be counterproductive. Don’t be tempted to use a home vacuum cleaner to remove water. Moving air through the room will help, but if ceilings have sustained damage, it may not be safe to use a ceiling fan or even be in the room. Use the drying time to focus on the cause, be it broken pipes or appliance failure, and arrange for the necessary repair or replacement.
Though dealing with water damage is certainly a nuisance, it is not, in most situations, an insurmountable problem. Working with alacrity and focus will set things right more quickly than you might expect. Visit http://www.SERVPROashevillewest.com for more information on water damage.