What To Do In The Aftermath Of A Disaster
Asheville disasters come in many forms: floods, fires, tornadoes and hurricanes to name a few. Although each type of catastrophe brings its own brand of devastation, there are a few standard steps to be taken following any kind of calamity. Those steps will help ensure that you, your family and those around you avoid further hazards in the immediate aftereffects of a disaster.
What to Do, Following a Disaster
Asheville disasters invariably cause individuals to be confused and in a general state of shock. Things are chaotic and frightening. While it is unlikely that anyone is completely prepared for a major catastrophe, having the knowledge of what to do and what not to do will help ensure that you and those with you will be as safe as possible.
- The first thing to do is to remain calm and stay level-headed. You must keep your wits about you to avoid losing control or causing others to panic. Seeing you calm and in control will help those around you to have confidence in you and themselves; clear heads are required at this crucial time.
- Take a quick assessment of individuals that were nearby before the Asheville disaster. Take a head count to make sure all are accounted for. No matter how tempted you are, resist calling distant friends or family right away to tell them you're OK. Telephone communication should only be for emergency or survival purposes. Tying up lines could impede emergency personnel.
- If emergency personnel are not in immediate vicinity, call them immediately. Help any injured individuals that may be present. Apply first aid if possible and try and keep them warm and alert. Make sure they understand the situation and are as calm as possible.
- If you plan on entering a building for cover, make sure it is still structurally sound prior to entering. Pay attention to walls, ceilings, floors and support beams. Make note of broken gas lines or downed power lines and stay away. If fire or police professionals are present, ask if it's safe to enter. If they say no, don't go. If the building is yours, call a professional catastrophe remediation service like SERVPRO. They're trained to inspect and evaluate the structural integrity of the building. They will formulate and execute a cleanup plan, and help you with insurance issues. If you have documentation or videos of your property before the disaster, that will help.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Asheville West?
We're Faster to Any Size Disaster
When a storm hits your Asheville home or business, you need help immediately. Our quick response will help prevent secondary damage and help reduce restoration costs.
We're Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
As a leader in storm and water damage restoration, SERVPRO of Asheville West has the specialized training and expertise to restore your home back to its pre-storm condition. Our restoration process puts an emphasis on scientific drying techniques, progress monitoring and documentation.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
We Have the Resources to Handle Storms and Disasters
We can access the resources and personnel of 1,650 Franchises to handle major storms and disasters. We also have access to special Disaster Recovery Teams strategically located throughout the country to respond to catastrophic storms and events.